Sunday, May 27, 2007

In Which We Surrender to Steve Jobs and Fret Over Large Insects

Finally did it this afternoon. I have this trip to Chicago coming up, you see, and the girlfriend offered to go halves on an iPod as a bon voyage (or bon choo choo, as it were) present. I'm not a total irresponsible materialistic git; I went with the nano.

Shiny. Black. New!

The shiny black 8G nano, that is, which I'm busily loading music and photos onto as I type. The photos take up next to no room and you can set them up as a slideshow to whatever music you want. Swoon. My only previous experience with iPodLand has been with the minor suburb called Shuffle, which I use at the gym and dig mightily, but the track selection and playlist capabilities of the full-feature babies, including those cute little photos, has won me over. Add in DRM-free music and I am very, very happy indeed.

In other road trip news, the 17-year cicadas have begun emerging in Chicagoland. I must remember to pack my wellies. Fuck, fuck. 17 years ago this month a spent a horrific afternoon trying to walk from a church in Wilmette to the Linden el stop, for which I had stupidly worn shorts and Tevas, meaning I spent the couple of miles in the middle of the street trying not to step on the fucking cicadas that were crawling, flopping, dying, and otherwise occupying every other square inch of ground when they weren't careening into my ankles as they flew a couple of inches above the street in their death throes. Hate. Cicadas.




Comes up from under the ground + glowing red eyes = spawn of Satan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a few summers ago, cicadas popped out all over DC, and I remember a horrific half-block walk home from the bus stop one day when it was raining buckets and I had to walk through an above-ankle-high river of the hellish fiends. Dead or not, they were still deeply gross. And of course they're out in the midwest on the weekend I have to return to SB...