Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Best Randomalia We Can Muster

I am going to a Cubs playoff game tonight. Even though they're down 1-0 in the series and their bats are asleep, I am too excited to put together anything very coherent.

No, you might not notice the difference.

Forthwith, a whole mess o' things that have been clanging around in my head recently:

1. The best evidence I have for spending far too much time reading blogs and, more specifically, comments on blogs is how jarring it is to see certain words actually spelled correctly. There I am, skimming through a sentence, with my brain jumping a few words ahead, anticipating, just knowing what phrase is coming next, bracing itself for the inevitable "back on their heals" or "tow the line," and then somebody drops the correct spelling on me and I'm boggled. Maybe foot-related words are the problem. I don't know. Ammendment. Rediculous.

2. I am very tired of the phrase "thrown under the bus." Even when it's the most apt turn of language for the situation being described, come on, people, let's stretch a bit. Have I used this in the past? Quite possibly. I'm trying to avoid it from now on.

3. Even sadder than watching the Cubs score one run on four hits last night was watching the TBS camera stay on Muhammed Ali as he settled into his front-row seat at Chase Field. He was shaking from Parkinson's, which we're all used to by now, but as he sat, a long silvery stream of saliva escaped his mouth and dribbled down his front. The lady to his left quickly dabbed his chin with a handkerchief that she then passed to him, and he continued to wipe his mouth as the camera circled around him. Nobody said anything.

4. Why does House keep getting nominated for best drama, when it's clearly a comedy/fantasy?

5. Speaking of medical fantasy, yesterday President Bush vetoed the extension of SCHIP (federally funded health insurance for low-income kids whose parents earn just enough to be disqualified for Medicare) because, you know, there's really no reason for the government to pay for kids' healthcare:
"The immediate goal is to make sure there are more people on private insurance plans. I mean, people have access to health care in America," he said. "After all, you just go to an emergency room."

6. Updating the blogroll today, mostly with sciencey stuff that makes me feel smart.

No comments: