Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Physician Recommendation

My doc is pretty cool. In the market for a new GP? Give her a call. Aside from being chronically susceptible to schedule creep--get the first appointment in the morning if a quick in and out is important to you--she is on top of her game, is open to discussion, has a no-bullshit attitude, and has a wickedly sarcastic sense of humor. We get along great. She also wrote an op-ed for the Daily Star this morning.
On June 17, I got married in California. Somehow, this was deemed newsworthy. We had two paragraphs in The New York Times, were the lead story on KOLD-TV at 5 and 6 o'clock, and had a multimedia slide show in the Palm Springs Desert Sun, to name only a few of our contacts with the media.

The reason we garnered so much attention was that I married a woman.

I could have married a man I met on the street and if I died the next day, he would get my Social Security benefits. Yet my partner of 18 years, who has stayed home for the last 10 years to raise our sons, would get nothing.

There is something inherently wrong about that.

Attagirl, Melissa.


No comments: